Stress Day 1

Today, it’s 3 min to midnight MST, I had so much to do and I forgot to comb Mom’s hair.  I had just returned from a 3 day visit with my husband and I am fortunate to have a brother staying with Mom and Dad when I am away.  Upon my return, I found out that Mom had fallen and Dad had diarrhea the night before.  My brother had to call  the paramedics to take care of Mom and he also had to take care of the clean-up  in their room.  Today was Dad’s golf day.  I  drive them everywhere.  Mom and I took him to the golf course and r

we returned home to meet the “cleaning crew” which consists of a husband and wife who mainly do carpet cleaning, but he is a great handyman and she is very thorough as she does the cleaning I don’t have time for.   I stripped their bed  for the laundry and instructed them on what I needed done in the bedroom. He “washed the carpet” and they put the protective cover back on the mattress. Mom and I then rushed back to the golf course to get Dad.  Mom couldn’t keep her thoughts together and was confused the entire morning.  She slept on the way to the golf course and napped on the way back.  On Mondays, Mom and Dad go to the local bakery for coffee and Dad’s favorite cinnamon roll.  The handicap parking is at the end of the strip mall and Mom can’t walk that far so I am usually pushing her in her rollator/walker. 

 Their friend usually meets Dad and they talk about  sports back in the day.  Dad is a retired sports writer and writes a column for the weekly online newspaper.  4 hours after leaving the house we arrive home and they take a break.  After their “break/nap” Mom edits Dad’s column while he takes a shower.  The column is submitted on Tuesday each week. While Mom is working on his column,  I start dinner.  I started the Spanish rice and Mom joined me when she finished editing.  She does the seasoning because I can never do it correctly.  It has been difficult for her to stand for very long in one spot, so I am monitoring the rice as it is cooking.  After dinner I have time to relax but I have to get the bed clothes out of the dryer and make the bed before they go to sleep and I relaxed too long.  I was able to do it before they went to bed, Mom first at 7:30 and Dad later at 9:30.  I stay close listening in case Dad needs me.  All the while my brother is sleeping since he was gone most of the night and morning.  After Dad goes to bed I can relax, but I still have to finish unpacking and take care of some online bills/banking.  Once the chores, business, and caretaking is finished I am exhausted mentally and physically.  This is more difficult than teaching ever was!  I have two very active and alert 90+ parents who have to be watched and helped as they move very slowly through their daily routine.  It is a work in progress and I am learning as I go through the tasks each day.  I have been here 1 1/2 years and every day is a new experience as I experience the slow decline in their health.  It is now 30 minutes into Day 2.  May the stress be less.

Share Chat For Caregivers

About desertturle

Anita Henson aka Winnie. A retired teacher, and caregiver for my loving parents, wife, and mother. Married to Greg "Tex" Henson.
This entry was posted in Caregiving, personal and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.