Stay in Bed!

On Saturday, February 8, the health aide came to look at Dad’s pressure sore on the heel.  Just before the health aide took Dad to the room, the physical therapist arrived.  The prognosis was not good.  It looked worse this morning and the other heel was beginning to develop that dreaded black spot when it was clear at the podiatrist’s office. Dad was told to stay in bed.  The whining began, but the physical therapist (Elizabeth) and the health aide both began talking at the same time and told Dad it was imperative he stay off his feet for the next two weeks.  Yikes!  Tears welled in Dad’s eyes.  Seems like they both knew how much he wanted to get back on the golf course and that was their suggestion.  He now has a goal.  He wants to get better so he can play golf again.  Otherwise, and they went through all the scenarios from better to worse.  The worst wasn’t  what Dad wanted to hear.  Therefore, he is resigned to staying in bed and getting better.  No more whining, no more dreadful statements.  He will get better.

The rest of the day and Sunday it was just us.  No caregiver, no therapists, no nurse, etc.  On Saturday afternoon, I had to call the nurse because Dad was doing the same thing in the afternoon and beginning his anxiety “attack”.  I told him I would call the nurse, 911, or the doctor.  NO! he pleaded.  It isn’t that bad…I’m OK .  I left the house to get a stethoscope, the oxygen reader, a urinal and some more commode liners.  I called Matrix, the company in charge of home care.  She told me the best thing to do when Dad made those dreadful statements is to distract him.  Give him something else to think about.  I thought about it on the way home.  I brought the stethoscope, and took the portable air conditioner out of my room, (told him it was the humidifier), showed him the pulse oximeter, and reassured him he was very healthy considering he had pneumonia, a hip replacement, and pressure sores on his heel.

My brother and I cleared off the dresser, when Dad asked why we told him we were moving the TV into the room.  He smiled.  We proceeded and it was quite a task.  I had to go back to the store to buy the 50 ft coaxial cable to reach the bedroom.  I bought 100 ft just to make sure.  It worked.  Dad could watch his directTV on the SmartTv.  He quickly tuned his programs and deleted some old recordings.  He was trying to record new programs and there the problems began.

I’ll have to ask DirectTv to install another mini client in his bedroom.  He could still watch his DirectTv programs that were recorded and regular programming.  If he is to remain in bed for as long as the doctor advised, it will be better to install one in his bedroom.

Overall, it turned out to be a good weekend.  The nurse will come again to change the dressing/bandage, the therapists will be here and both caregivers will start the week.  My afternoon caregiver will come at 9:00 am  (maybe I can take a shower after Mom’s bath), and the other will come when she leaves for a few hours.  I need some rest after this long and busy weekend.

Share Chat For Caregivers

About desertturle

Anita Henson aka Winnie. A retired teacher, and caregiver for my loving parents, wife, and mother. Married to Greg "Tex" Henson.
This entry was posted in personal. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.